06 Σεπτεμβρίου 2015

Wayward Pines - Κριτική στο IMDb

Freedom vs security: apples and oranges



At first, as others have pointed out this reminded me of Twin Peaks. What I didn't want was to see aliens, or "everybody is dead". It's a fun series, meaning that you can have a good time watching it but it sure is not a masterpiece. Plus there were some things that I really didn't like.

I don't think that I have seen the actors anywhere else, except from the guy who was playing War Machine (in the first Iron Man). The actors are trying and doing a good job in a pure script and direction. For example there are cameras everywhere and microphones but everyone is OK to act suspicious, so as to hide from them. There are also some huge plot holes, like why did they need "adults" and they did just taken babies, or even better try to replicate a human being by cloning or other technique? I mean, they have cryosleep... Plus the protagonist's death in the end is obvious and without reason: He could have just throw the damned bomb or something. The music is very good, and as I said it is still not bad, just with some serious flaws, and if you are a sucker for mysteries and sci-fi stuff it's easy to at least enjoy it.

One of the themes of the series is the matter of freedom vs security: how much of those you need to have a proper balance? What the series is trying to say is "a little bit of both" but I believe that it is as I said "apples and oranges", I mean you can't have both, freedom does not need security, otherwise it's "you are free to do whatever I tell you". Even a little bit of security means that you are not free to do whatever you want.

To be honest I find the reason that this scientist has imprisoned those humans in a lie does not make sense. He could just take some volunteers, and the series points that there were many, and try to built a new world without lies but with mutual help and respect, without hierarchy, with a single mission to survive against a common foe. I can't buy why this lie has to be in the first place.

The revolutionists are portrayed as revolution without a reason, but also the creators of this series gladly point their conservative believes, because the people who want to see what's outside are reckless and unresponsible and ultimately wrong because outside of the walls there are monsters, a great metaphor for how our society sees a revolution, but in my point of view the people who want to know the truth, who want to be free they are right, even if it means that this may kill you.

Plus I really found wrong that the "adults" in the end were right, and the kids built again a totalitarian dystopia. I mean, this is totally wrong as an example...

Anyway, this is a series of books, so as I am not familiar at all with the source material I don't know what is the creator's fault and what this series have in common.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου